This page explains the type of information that is collected by IPS, how such information is used and under what circumstances and to whom it may be disclosed. If you have any privacy concerns, you should direct them to the Bureau's Privacy Officer by e-mailing email@example.com (*remove 'nospam' before mailing) or by writing to:
Privacy Officer (EXL)
Bureau of Meteorology
GPO Box 1289
Melbourne Vic 3001
Personal information collected by IPS is used in accordance with its obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. Personal information is information relating to an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion provided.
The Internet is an insecure medium and users should be aware that there are inherent risks transmitting information across the Internet. Information submitted unencrypted via e-mail or web forms may be at risk of being intercepted, read or modified.
For those who do not wish to use the Internet we provide alternative ways of obtaining and providing the information. If you prefer, you can contact us by phone or mail.
Site Visit Data
When visiting the Bureau's site, a record of your visit is logged. The following information is recorded for statistical purposes and is used by IPS to help improve the site. The following information is provided by your browser:
- the type of browser you are using
- the date and time of your visit
- your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.)
- the address of the referring site
- your server's IP address (a number which is unique to the machine through which you are connected to the Internet: usually one of your service provider's machines)
- the address of the pages accessed and any documents downloaded
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities, unless disclosure is required by law or due to a mandatory requirement of a Court, Government Agency or Regulatory Authority in the course of a legally enforced investigation.
Collection of Personal Information
We will, at your request, provide you with access to any information which we have collected about you through this website in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 6, Privacy Act 1988. To gain access to this information you should contact us, as per the above contact details. If you believe any information is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us and we will revise the relevant information in accordance with Information Privacy Principle 7, Privacy Act 1988.
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you provided it
- it will not be added to a mailing list unless you request this be done
- we will not disclose it without your consent, except where the Bureau of Meteorology may be required by law to disclose certain information
When you use our Subscription and Feedback forms:
- we will record the personal information provided by you (for example your name, address, telephone number, etc)
- we will only use this information for the purpose for which you provided it
- only IPS/Bureau authorised staff will have access to this
- we will not disclose it without your consent, except where IPS may be required by law to disclose certain information
A cookie is a small text file that is sent from web site servers and stored on a web browser. Some parts of this web site may use a cookie to maintain site information and your setting preferences as you navigate different pages on our web site or when you return to the web site at a later time.
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities, unless disclosure is required by law or due to mandatory requirements of a Court, Government Agency or Regulatory Authority in the course of a legally enforced investigation.
For more information about cookies and instructions on how to adjust your browser settings to restrict or disable cookies, see the Office of the Privacy Commissioner or the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
Search terms that you enter when using our search engine are collected, but there is no link between search terms and personal details. Nor are they associated with any other information that we collect. We use these search terms to ascertain what people are looking for at our site and to improve the services that we provide.
Links to Other Sites
This site contains links to other sites. IPS is not responsible for the privacy practices of these web sites and has no knowledge of whether cookies or other tracking devices are used on linked sites. If you have any concerns regarding your privacy, when visiting a linked site, you should ensure you are aware of the privacy policies of those sites.